Friday, March 09, 2007

Wiki Comes to Church

I was reading Tom Peter's blog and ran across a link to Wikinomics. I asked myself, "How can this be applied to the church?" Then I thought about some of the things that David Fitch had said about interpretation being done in the context of a community.

Why not use a "wiki" approach to sermon development?

So I decided to do just that. I started a new blog Wiki-Sermon where I will post the upcoming lectionary readings. Readers can make observations and suggest possibilities for the shape of the sermon.

I am especially interested in any pop cultural connections to the themes of the Scriptures. If there is a link with a book or a movie, that would be especially helpful. Readers can add their own comments or respond to comments by someone else.

This is not just a research tool for me to use in preparing the sermon. I want to use this to shape the direction of the sermon.

My intention is that this will be specifically for use by the Wesleyan Community Church. But since we are using the standard lectionary readings (with a few adjustments here and there), the information can also be used by others following the lectionary.

The benefit of this depends completely upon the degree of participation. If this sounds interesting, why not join in and see how it develops?

I can't promise to use everything that is submitted. But I will use all the comments as background for the sermon I finally prepare.

Pastor Rod

"Helping You Become the Person God Created You to Be"

8 comments:

Robin said...

Great idea! It's like being a writer with a research staff, but you don't have to pay them! Plus it gets the community involved and interacting with the message, even before you give it. AND it gives them a chance to ask questions and you know what they need to hear. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

daniel the smith said...

That's a great idea!

Pastor Rod said...

Robin,

Welcome. Yes, I was thinking all those things. It seems to make sense. We'll see if it works.

Rod

Pastor Rod said...

Daniel,

It seems like a good idea to me, but we won't know until we see if people actually participate.

Rod

Dale Argot said...

Rod,
I as well am using the lectionary readings from time to time this year. I've been looking over this week's readings; here's a couple ideas I'm working with.

Spring Cleaning - based on the 2 Corinthians passage -- the old has gone, the new has come. It was 76 degrees today and our daffodils are blooming. Perhaps it's time to spring clean our lives.

Repentance/Forgiveness - The restoration of the passover during the reconsecration of the children of Israel in Joshua. Forty years of disobedience have been washed away. The forgivness of the father in the prodigal son narrative. The Psalmist writes about joy coming to those whose sins are forgiven. It's still Tuesday so these are the early thoughts I have for these passages.

Pastor Rod said...

Dale,

Thanks for your input. If you follow the link to the wiki-sermon page, I have a post for each week.

I hoping that this will be helpful as several of us pool our resources.

God Bless,

Rod

Anonymous said...

I found out why apps in office 07 are slow - For example: Word is slow when clicking things like add a header, change the page format, etc. This is because word is trying to reach your printer. On the bottom left it will say "Connecting to printer... Press ESC to cancel. If you click ESC too late, then Vista (if running) will automatically close Word because it thinks that it crashed. If you notice it soon enough, you will avoid interruptions. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

And this is also because Microsoft sucks... SUPPORT DUAL BOOTING VISTA AND LEOPARD!!!